Monday 18 February 2019

Thursday, February 14th, 2019


Saint John, New Brunswick

Strolling & Meeting

At the intersection, the light turned red.  I was standing there waiting for a green.  The red hand that was before me and the man with a coffee clutched tightly gave me some talking ammunition.  "In the culture I come from that open palm gesture means we are getting a blessing."

"If you move forward," said the tall gent who smiled, "it won't be a blessing," indicating a car could come and flatten you.  I agreed.

"The open palm would indicate 'be patient the blessings are forth coming.'"  We crossed.

"Have a good one," he said.

I meandered through the snow-ridden but now ploughed streets.  I was enjoying that older architecture that is so abounding in this historical Loyalist city.  On one street, two fellows, one with a snow shovel, were chatting, with the one instructing the other.  "Hello," one said to me.

 I returned the gesture. 

But then the instructing fellow looked back and scolded the shoveler for not doing as directed.  "Throw the snow against the building," he said, harshly.

 I thought he could have done a better job of community, given that it's Valentine's Day.  A little more love goes a long way.

After trekking through residential neighbourhoods, I came upon that Uptown park, and then commerce area.  A man and woman were stationary in conversation.  It seemed to me it was like church-talk because the woman ended the conversation with a "just keep up the faith... just keep up the faith."

They parted, but I kept up the conversation, feeling slightly like an eavesdropper.  "That word 'faith' is powerful," I said.

"Yes, I'm a believer!" she said as she veered off in another direction.

May the Source be with you!
4 km


No comments: