Friday 4 January 2019

Monday, December 31st, 2018

Toronto, Ontario

New Year Blues

In he walked, during my moment of chanting the mantracalled gayatri.  It was someone who was familiar with the system.  He reverentially offered his obeisance after entering the temple room where I was chanting.  I completed my mantraand walked toward this six-foot-four-inch Texan (by birth).  I suddenly recognized that here is someone I hadn't seen in over twenty-five years.  It was Jagadisvara.

It was a hug for a feeling of long-gone separation.  He used to live on these premises, and since leaving for West Virginia, he married a Torontonian girl, and then produced two sons.  

"I'm so proud of my boys.  They have Krishna in mind.  It's the best thing I've done.  I instilled in them a sense of spirituality."

Jagadisvara came to town to see his family.  It's New Year's time, and people are moving about visiting friends and family.  I consider my dear friend to be family, part of our spiritual family.

A terrible thing happened to him, though, in the evening in Yorkville, during the drizzle of the night.  "I was walking; got approached by three tall men. They showed a knife, a gun and led me to an ATM and pulled out all my money."  

This is the sad story that goes along with the ushering in of the New Year for Jagadisvara.  It's interesting because the neighbourhood where this happened is a respectable one.  I recall hearing sirens going off more than twice in the night, an indication that not all goes well for some, and that it can be easy to start off on the wrong footing.

Watch your step.

May the Source be with you!
0 km

No comments: