Friday 13 October 2017

Thursday, October 12th, 2017

Ujjain, India

Foot Care

With a few minutes available in Room 112 of the Guest House, I gave some attention to my feet.  With a rasp-like instrument I managed to take off dead skin, much like a pumice-stone effect.  I also utilized my nail clippers to carve away at semi-soft skin, especially at the tips of the toes where the attention is most needed.  After this procedure, I took to a good soaking in lukewarm water in a basin with some of the local salt dissolved inside.

I have to be kind to these feet.  They have done a tremendous service this summer in carrying me across the western part of the USA.  “Service your feet,” is what I say.  It is a form of devotion.

I took additional dead skin off after the soak, clipped the toe nails and felt as though I had new feet.  It felt so great on the marble floor of the temple of Radha MadhanMohan.  It was like I was gliding over the surface with my clean new feet.

I do have a sister who specializes in pedicure.  As a swami, I generally don’t have physical contact with the opposite gender, even though they may be kith and kin.  I will give hugs that are momentary, especially if it is a newcomer, as I just want to encourage the ladies toward devotional life.  I never thought to ask Rose Ann, my sister, and I will refrain from such a request, to aid my feet.  Also, there are usually young men around to help the elders in the matter of foot care.

The same type of stricture should apply to women who choose a life of bhakti.  Women will help each other in an interdependent fashion like in a nunnery or a convent.  There are not too many facilities like this for women, from what I’ve seen.

In my travels, I see how people really care for their cars.  The same type of spirit should apply in the case of one’s feet.

May the Source be with you!

5 km

No comments: