Saturday 21 October 2017

Monday, October 16th, 2017

Ujjain, India

One of My Heroes 

My actual walking while in Ujjain is the pacing I do in the corridor of the guest house I’m in or the circumambulation on the walkway around the temple.  This second location is interesting enough.  I begin pacing and one person joins me, then another and another… In this way it builds up to the point of an army.

Someone said I’m the Pied Piper.  Another exaggeration came from a sannyasi (swami), a godbrother.  “If you stayed in India for a while, you’d have millions of disciples!”  That was flattering, as he was referring to the hundreds of people who cling to the kirtan/chanting led in the evenings.

My response was, “The chanting belongs to the One whose name we are referring to.  It is Krishna’s name and it’s good to see people hooked to the practice.”

When Lokanath Swami leads, it also draws the crowds.  He can go on forever.  If I can also say something else in his favour, he is a committed walker.  It is he who began the padayatras throughout India and the world.  He told me that his padayatra (festival on foot) has been going on since the ’70s.  Every five years, the group returns to the same spot, referring to the rotation they follow.  His presentation also includes chanters and deities carried by two oxen.  He’s definitely one of my heroes.

Now from the morning class, I noted a few good points.  Yoga is defined as ‘equality’.  “Wit” comes from the Sanskrit vid (knowledge).  And “that” comes from the Sanskrit tat (something real).

May the Source be with you

8 km

No comments: