Tuesday 17 October 2017

Sunday, October 15th, 2017

Ujjain, India

Have You Ever…?

Have you ever walked through traffic in a tightly congested, city marketplace in India? You basically must dash and dodge your way through the crowd of people, scooters and cars. Cows are the least part of the problem, but they are there. Don’t think of standing still to avoid the mechanizations. You’ll be forced to move one way or another and at different speeds from stop to start.

I thought that Ujjain was a smaller city. Yes, it is, but it’s a half-million population crammed in tight quarters, and during Diwali, it makes it feel like you’re in China. On top of that, with things coming at you from all directions, you’ve got sounds of engines, bells, whistles and car horns, all mostly at a higher pitch. It’s quite the contrast from Ely, Nevada, during the U.S. walk, when one morning I found myself in the midst of three hundred bikers all revving it up with their roaring Harley Davidsons. There the sound reached your gut.

Anyway, I was out in the streets, practically holding hands with Kamalaksha from Indore, shopping for possible drama costumes. At one point in the circle of commotion, I wondered if it was worth the endeavour. Finally, we found an outlet where theatre-wear was in stock and I managed to pick up some cheap costumes that I can adjust when I get back home.

In Ujjain, I’m really happy attending meetings with fellow monks. The sanga (company) is worth my stay here. They are my brothers.

What sets me apart from them is that I’m a drama swami who has to have his tools to work with.

May the Source be with you!

10 km

No comments: