Wednesday 13 January 2016

Sunday, January 10th, 2016

Sunday, January 10th, 2016
St. John’s, Newfoundland

Mike Got Me On The Mic

Mike got me on the radio airwaves today. An interview by him on CHMR at the university had all to do with ‘What does it mean to be a monk; to be in the renounced order?’ And ‘What is this maha-mantra that The Beatles used to sing?’ Our conversation went on for a good 20 minutes, and it ended with us singing ‘Hare Krishna’. So, it was Mike, his girlfriend, Laura, my assistant, Rikin, and I, who all chanted Hare Krishna as part of the broadcast.

Not bad for a music station to do that.

I was also slotted in for a talk and a kirtan at the Hindu temple where a good number of people came a second time around. The western crowd swelled the place, and I guess it surprised the Hindu community, who were actually delighted. I really felt I was on Cloud 9, the questions people asked were tantalizing.

A woman asked, “We are trying through bhakti to not be selfish, but what can you say about taking care of our own spiritual life first, is that not selfish?”

A young man asked, “How do you know when you get to the point of karma yoga, acting without attachment?”

To the woman I confirmed that charity does begin in the home, “Get strong first, and then help others.”

To the man I suggested that spiritual advancement is not a solitary endeavour, we need guidance, we need a mentor who can monitor – a guru.

Amongst the wonderful people that came, I also conversed, during prasadam, with a woman who lived as a nun for 6 years in a convent. She admitted it wasn’t the happiest of times for her.

I reflected back to a question Mike asked over the mic about my lifestyle as a monk. “I’ve enjoyed every minute of my 43 years thus far. I don’t expect that to change.”

May the Source be with you!

6 km

 

No comments: