Sunday 10 January 2016

Friday, January 8th, 2016

Friday, January 8th, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland

Rocking/Walking

Sheeshan and I took to walking along the harbour's edge but just to get there you have a series of tight switch-backing to do, via residential streets. St. John's is a rocky place and its protected harbour is nestled in that rock.

If someone were to ask me, "Does the place rock?" I would answer with a forthcoming "yes," because of its friendly folks. Although the early people waiting at bus stops find our morning presence a fascination, no one hesitates to say "Good Morning!"

At the very crest of the rock dynamic of St. John's is the museum called "The Rooms." It was there, later in the morning, when I met in a casual cue, some of the attendees of last night's function. Amongst them was Terrance, who is serious about chanting on his beads. Toby is a yoga instructor whom I suggested to keep his guidance for men only. Since the world of yoga in the West has become largely a women's domain why not give the guys a break. And Heather I met last June. ‘Interested in making life simple’ is a motto she wishes to live by. "Why not?" I say.

Two more gatherings occurred. One was a meeting with volunteer staff of the ‘East Coast Trail,’ one of National Geographic's ten best adventure destination in the world. Jan and I plan on making a portion of it a pilgrimage experience in October, with enthusiastic trekkers. It's in the early planning stage. The second group to meet was the ‘Indian Youth Association’ at Memorial University, and other friends from June's visit. I'm so happy to see follow-up people from before. Either as a pilgrim, or as a novel Swami in Newfoundland, I find it a good sign that people here are either initially drawn or remember us to the point of connecting again. People here rock on the rocks.

May the Source be with you!

6 km

 

No comments: