Monday 26 August 2013

Sunday, August 25th, 2013

Sleep Got Interrupted

Oungre, Saskatchewan

Sleep got interrupted by some noise. Some creature was trying to poke its way into our tent at the Oungre campsite. I finally figured out what was trying to badger its way in. From the lamppost outside, I could make out its silhouette, it was the darndest cute little frog. His head was up and his legs spread out as he jumped his way up to explore our synthetic domicile. He would leap, attempt to clutch on, but he would either slide or just fall back. He tried various sides of our tent. I was just lying there less annoyed than amused.

Once it was time to rise, 4 AM, it was time to zip open that tent, zip over for a shower and zip on off to the road. The world of magic began once again. I was using my meditative beads to chant my daily mantras. It was a soft murmur of “Hare Krishna… “

From a distance shortly after sunrise, I could see a pack of coyotes running as in teamwork. Apparently local farmers sometimes lose their calves to these visitors. In any event it was exhilarating to see these wild dogs in some kind of action moving swiftly on their feet beyond the wheat field.

Daruka pulled over and had a cassette playing of Melanie, the popular folk singer of the late sixties, early seventies. The theme of this song seemed pertinent.

I Don’t Eat Animals

I was just thinking about the way it’s supposed to be

I’ll eat the plants and the fruits from the trees

And I’ll live on vegetables and I’ll grow on seeds

But I don’t eat animals and they don’t eat me

Oh no, I don’t eat animals ‘cuz I love them you see

I don’t eat animals, I want nothing dead in me

I don’t eat white flour, white sugar makes you rot

Though white could be beautiful, but mostly it’s not

A little bit of whole meal, some raisins and cheese

I’ll eat the plants and the fruits from the trees

But I don’t eat animals and they don’t eat me

Oh I don’t eat animals and they don’t eat me

Oh no, I’ll live on life, I want nothing dead in me

You know, I’ll become life and my life will become me

You know, I’ll live on life and my life will live me

It’s a great song and I remember it from over 4 decades ago. Thank you, Melanie, I also don’t eat animals.

Now the last portion of the day had Daruka, Billy and I attend ISKCON’s centre in Regina. I spoke from 9.11 of the Bhagavad Gita. The message was that divinity is everywhere.

28 KM

No comments: