Thursday 21 March 2013

Wednesday, March 20th, 2013

Stellar Service
Mayapura, West Bengal

Kala Das, is enviably spending part of his year in Cambodia, at the famous Angkor Wat. He spotted me and asked me how I like the extra trails that are now found in Mayapura. I let him know that it gives me more options as the place develops. The rice paddy fields are shrinking in size. That's the downside. There's less green- less open space.

In the early day, before things get a chance to move, pujari priests are already bathed and dressed, picking at these small white petaled flowers. In fact, they look a bit like stars. I would personally consider their work to be stellar, like the service you might get at a Five Star Hotel. Everyday, routinely, I see these pujaris. I had inquired about the name of the flowers used in their ritual. I received some different conflicting names. Language barrier doesn't help. In any event, the seva, service, goes on. It is admirable seeing the whole-hearted effort going into the service of these men who actually only adore their delegated duty but also their warm reception at seeing me.
Who am I? Just one of the thousands of pilgrims. Today so happens to be the birthday of one of my heroes, Bhakti Tirtha Swami, whose life was claimed by cancer, or as to put it more devotional, who was reunited with Krishna. To honor this day, pilgrims converged on the community center. The place was packed and those who found no room remained outdoors and pressed either their eyes or ears to the windows in order to be included.
People spoke about this dynamic African-American monk, born in Cleveland. he was a Princeton graduate. I spoke. One quote of his that was expressed by one of the speakers, Chadrashekar, in how to see the psychology of the Gita- "When the secondary renders service to the primary."

To me, Bhakti Tirtha Swami was always a five star man.

6 KM

No comments: