Sunday 17 March 2013

Saturday, March 16th, 2013

Groups- 2
 
Mayapura, West Bengal
 
38 countries are represented here in Mayapura. That's a fair-sized amount of pilgrims.  
 
And speaking of pilgrims, I was informed that at least 7,000 foot travelers would set off today to visit local sacred sights.The event is divided into four camps: the English (International), Hindi, Bengali and Russian speaking groups. From the view of our veranda, there were multitudes of people milling about readying themselves on the ground level for a great adventure on some dusty foot trails.
 
I admit to feeling a bit guilty that I'm not on board with them. I've committed myself to the theater for the remainder of our stay here in Mayapura. I promised Pragosh, my devotee buddy from Ireland, who runs the festival entertainment, that I'll provide him two dramas for an international audience. a promise is a promise.
 
Frankly, each time I meet with our volunteer actors for a practice, the experience resembles a dusty trail. I come out of those rehearsals a little more fatigued than when I walked in, yet I feel a whole lot richer in spirit knowing we've come a few inches closer to where we want to be. The words conveyed, as well as movement are cleaner and crisper than before. We are closer to being able to resonate our message to an audience. I guess you could say that the soul is happier.
 
While the grounds of Mayapura have become absent of pilgrims from all over the world, they were replaced by weekend browsers from Kolkata and other nearby towns and villages. And not to give patriotism a place in this devotional setting, I did find it justified to call souls from the Maple Leaf nation to our very own Bhagavatam discussion. Tradition has it that sadhus (sages) devotionally claim a part of the world as their own for developing that space devotionally.
 
6 KM

No comments: