Monday 11 March 2013

Friday, March 8th, 2013

Pope and Potatoes

Mayapura, West Bengal

A truck pulled up with a huge load of sacks of potatoes. It was obvious what day it was today. It was announced that today was Vijay Ekadasi. On every fort-night a fast is honored when abstaining from grains. Usually on this day ground crops like spuds are stepped up for the bail or the fry (hate to say).
It was unlike the day before when peer Madhu Sevita, from Italy, observed the stock of grain-induced meal, pasta actually, that was on my plate. Madhu came up to me and asked, “Maharaj, I’m glad to see you have built up such a great appetite for pasta. You know they’re looking for a new pope.

When I saw your enthusiasm for the Italian fare, I thought maybe you would be a fit candidate for the post of the pontiff.”

“It’s kind of you to think of me for the job description, but no thanks!”

Actually, I had been in a good digestive streak for days. The fire of digestion is up . (In the Gita, Krishna states that He is that digestion.) No doubt the daily walking and daily dance at the ritual of Tulasi puja helps. Balance for any day, for the physical and spiritual is what’s called for.

I like to recall 6.17 from Gita, “He who is regulated in his habits of eating, sleeping, recreation and work can mitigate all material pains by practicing the yoga system.” This is one of those outstanding verses that addresses the equipoised life we shall adopt.

My day was full with exhausting meetings and the topic of whether women can or should be official gurus. (I’m a supporter of the cause). To balance the nature of the sedentary activity that was tempered by participation. Our troupe brought down the house, “broke a leg” and packed the place full. The drama ‘Dhruva: Prince of Anger and Peace,’ was a hit.

7 KM

No comments: