Thursday 1 March 2012

Wednesday, February 29th, 2012


February 29th

 Mayapura, West Bengal

Feb. 29 might be a day that appears odd on the calendar. It might connote irregularities of all kinds.

Well, it did thunder in the sky today, strange for this season. Take it as a bad omen or not, I saw a 3 foot green with yellow marked snake slither into a residence through a perfect hole at the bottom of their main door. I waited to caution any occupants in case we're dealing with venom, but no one was inside which was evidenced by the out lock fastened to the door.

Anything else inauspicious? Oh yes! Motorbikes in motion, but that's always an ill omen for me.

To counteract what appears as abnormal, one chants Krishna's name, you keep to your devotional regimen and in my case it includes a walk, a relative safe mode of transportation. My monk assistant here, Suta Goswami, told me of a road block, the result of an accident on Bhaktisidanta Swami Marg (road). A trucker crashed into two young boys who were cycling. Now that's very unfortunate! Apparently the trucker left the scene for fear of his life.

If a motorist is found guilty of a death fatality he/she customarily flees. No court situation is there to protect you. As abrupt as you can imagine, villagers arrive with sticks at the scene of the accident, taking the law into their own hands and then discharge an "instant karma" response. It's mob dynamic in full blown form.

To offer myself an enhanced safety for the day, I met with fellow Vande members, the creative arts group, in order to smooth over some relevant agenda topics. And much to my satisfaction I lunched with Havi (I forget his stage name). He's Venezuela's Bob Dylan -- in any event a big name in South America. He inparted to me his latest music project, a masterpiece of material.

Once again, I have to count another day where Krishna simply looked after me. Trouble, threats and challenges are all around. We just need to resort to the best shelter possible.

Chant those names!

 7 Km

No comments: