Saturday 7 February 2009

Wednesday, February 4th, 2009

Corriverton, Guyana

Rama Lila, my sponsor to Guyana, was telling about the early days, which were very tough. It was the early 1980s before he was married when he, along with a handful of monks, lived as ascetics in their own makeshift home made of branches. When it rained, everything inside got wet. The morning bath was in the creek in the region of crocodiles. Rama Lila himself would fell select trees and then chop them for firewood for cooking purposes. Gas for cooking was too costly. Humble beginnings! Now there are temples and ashrams!

While walking there is always much time to think. I thought of some of the people who approached me during the jaunt. One woman explained that her husband left her and she firmly believed that it was a “black magic” endeavour induced by her mother-in-law. She wants him back and so all I could do was offer my prayers and even suggest that I could talk to him if he was willing.

Another boy, sixteen, told me the doctors had given him until May to live. He is suffering from leukemia and wanted to know how he could put a closure to life, peacefully. My prayers go to him.

Rupa, Ravin and I took to walking the beach at a point. What a pleasant relief for the feet but not for long! As I was half-walking/wading, I accidentally stepped on a foot-long, dead catfish. The scales clung on to my foot which I swiftly kicked off. It was painful! After two hours, my right foot, inflamed, terminated my walking for the day. For the rest of the evening, I lay bed-ridden, with a constant uneasiness. I didn’t want to conclude my walk of Guyana in this way, but destiny dictates as always.

25 Km

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haribol. Sorry to hear about your foot injury. I hope you get well soon so that you can continue forward with your journeys! Hare Krsna!

Jahnava dasa said...

Hare Krishna H H Bhaktamarga Swami.

Please! I pray for you to have a fast recovery with no suffering this life,this is my wish for you.Just figures a Catfish....
(I sent you a email hope it arrives)Jahnava das