Saturday 28 February 2009

Tuesday, February 24th, 2009

Toronto, Ontario

"GET-UP, PICK-UP AND MOVE-ON"

It was a little above freezing at 3 pm. The sun shone beckoning me, so how could I resist? I forced myself to walk and covered a whopping kilometre. A great triumph, I would say, once again.

What really lifted me out of bed was the zealousness of one of the monks, Gaurachandra, who was telling me about the outstanding response from people whom he approaches about Bhaktivedanta Book Trust. This is not the first time that this rather quiet and reserved monk would burst in and express his utter joy.

"Business is not that great," he says, "but people are looking for some shelter in these hard times."

"This is a trend," I thought. Just after the occurrence of 9/11 divorce rates dropped and people were taking refuge in churches. Soon thereafter people slipped into the regular mode and so the teeter-totter of mundane life continues. It can be said that September 11th was a mini time-bomb. The current financial turn-around could drag on for some time before things get better.

It's times like this that compells people towards introspection, except for the weak-hearted. I pray for those who cannot adjust easily and give-in to self-indulgence so abruptly in hard times.

Truly if we could see opportunity in every adversity then the opportunity encourages us to turn to God.

No comments: