Saturday 14 February 2009

Friday, February 13th, 2009

Toronto, Ontario

I was discharged from Joseph Brant Memorial Hospital yesterday and returned to my home in the temple. Treatment continues though. Strapped to my torso is an intervenes pack which gets checked by a nurse who loves house calls daily. Swelling and pain of the right infected foot has gone down incrementally.

I found that my reason for being in the hospital and my vocation came to be some kind of fascination for attendants at the hospital. The woman who did my bone scan was from the Christian Alliance community and with no prejudice or sarcasm asked about how I go about my pilgrimages.

“You basically depend on the grace of God,” I said which seemed to satisfy her fine.

Another nurse thought she had my identity pegged down. When looking at a picture I had beside my hospital bed of a smiling Prabhupada (my guru) she wanted to come across as knowledgeable and presumed that it was a picture of the Dalai Lama. Hungry to learn she wanted to know how someone can be gratified simply living the life of a monk for thirty-six yeas.
“It’s a natural life – few headaches.”

Another nurse admittted to being a student of “Hatta Yoga” I gave her my copy of The Gita and suggested that this is the book on “cool yoga”

I made friends just lying there without walking. I am lead to wonder whether the catfish I stepped on was either a curse or a blessing?

Walking on crutches will have to be tolerated for awhile.

No comments: