Saturday 21 February 2009

Tuesday, February 17th, 2009

Toronto, Ontario

People have been sending their sympathies via email. Thank you all! Bone scans show that infection has hit the bone of the large right toe. A previous serious toe stub incident was likely the cause. Now the catfish incident has enhanced the infection. So I'm laid up, in bed, taking intravenous for an additional week. My assistant monk, Devadatta, applied a poultice of olive oil, turmeric and neem. The toe responded well to the substance but swelling remains high. Such is the woe of my toe.

In the much bigger world, the public is on a roll to hitting a rock. Financial instability seems to remain clearly a reality. Some experts offer advice as to how to cope with what leads on many people to depression. One writer in the National Post suggested "Keep your car at home" as a way to save money. That advise resonated well with me. Stimulating more walking is a saving solution.

Chanakya Pandit, a keen advisor to Indian royalty centuries ago, advised to put out three things when they arise – fire, debt and disease. When these circumstances occur immediate attention must be given to them.

I truly feel for those people who are struggling as a result of weak financial policies. What had started in the U.S as a promising arrangements turned sour and as a result the global economy is now affected. The snow –balling of the U.S. to the world may force us to rethink our terms of subsistence. Our guru spoke of self-sufficiency over and over again that a culture based on land, animals, people and God is a solvent arrangement as opposed to the promotions of lust, anger, greed, madness, envy and illusion.

What are your thoughts on that Readers?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often envy you Maharaja with your power to toss the material world aside and pursue your own path toward the future. Of course we need to live with less. Does anyone listen? Unfortunately no! But that is not always true, there are small groups like us who know there is a better way ... and pursue it we do. Why? Because we see the bigger picture.

My prayers continue with you everyday. Hare Krsna.

Jahnava dasa said...

Hare Krishna H H Bhaktamarga Swami.

I offer my prayers daily here in Victoria for you to have your health at 100%.I think with the times becoming more difficult in the world this is where we as devotees already know what Srila Prabhupada thought was the way to live with all and decrease are suffering.This is a important time for us as devotees to be strong in are movement and hopefully more will be attracted to Krishna Consciousness as a way to live more simply and peaceful as a alternative,this may be a time where a strong wave of devotion could take place as people relize in there own lives how this is not working,and we can not continue to live with the current values of today.This is my hope and wish and I dream of us being stronger in the future.Srila Prabhupada left us all the wisdom we need to survive,and have "Simple Living and High Thinking".I have had many dreams of my possible future of being much more engaged in service for all of mankind.Jahnava das

JF said...

Dear Maharaj, please accept my most humble obeisances and best wishes for your ongoing and full recovery. The words you gave us concerning the proper actions when dealing with 'fire - disease - debt' are VERY wise! I have just retired last year after 35 years of working for my employer. While the timing of this financial crisis not good, it has forced me to simply not worry.

I once learned words that said,
"Lord, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change - the courage to change the things I can - and the wisdom to know the difference'

Best wishes Mahraji for your walking to continue! Haribol