Monday 23 February 2009

Thursday, February 19th, 2009

Toronto, Ontario

While I’m going through the healing process in mostly a horizontal position, hooked to intravenous, I had to become somewhat creative and innovative in the use of my space right next to me. Beside my bed, within arms reach, lying on the floor is my office space of approximately two square feet including phone, books and writing material. Next to that is my kitchen of fruit in a bag and juice in a bottle in a virtually smaller space. To the right of that is my entertainment centre of CD player and iPod. Neighboured by that is my pharmaceutical centre with crutches leaning over the antibiotic containers. It’s all there at my fingertips – all except for toilet and shower.

I’m honoured to be in my recovery in the same room where our guru slept 33 years ago. That’s truly sacred space, cause for recovery.

In crowded China, with its powerful workforce, some folks find it hard to have their own private space. A man who works a hard week is reported to come home to a metal cage where he sleeps and for that he must pay rent each month. How valuable that space must be for him!

As some of you know in addition to walking, theatre is another passion I have. When entering a building or room, I analyze the use of the space with sometimes an overly critical mind see the area as too crammed or too cavernous. I’m a fanatic about things being placed with a little “smartness”, like trying to see that a stage with actors are making a balanced use of space. When something is asymmetrical, my mind is agitated.

Recently in some of the tropical temples I visited, I saw the main entrance door reveal the back of a huge chair (vyasasana) and to its right, was a beautiful stambha, or pillar. Graced on top of it was perched an image of Garuda, Vishnu’s bird carrier. I expressed my agitation to the temple leader about how I perceived a wrong use of placement of things. The main entrance wasn’t inviting. The leader paid heed to a suggestion that the devotional bird be placed in a way that it’s the first impression to see, and a welcoming one.

To my amazement, Garuda, who with folding pranam hands, now stands in a centered position looking as if greeting one and all. I think it made a huge difference in the use of space. Personally, I am aching to get out of my small confined space in bed and see the world again - the big, big world of space.

No comments: