Sunday 9 January 2022

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

The Annex, Toronto

Under Some Pressure

I was just about to take a mid-morning nap (I’d been up since 2 am) when I received a call.

“No one is cooking the raj-bhoga offering. It has to be ready in one hour.”

“Alright, I’ll see what I can do. There must be some mix-up on the communication side,” I remarked.

So, I dashed to the kitchen after being informed of what needs to be cooked. There was so little time but I don’t mind pressure, especially in the kitchen. It’s always been one of my favorite locations, production-wise. Sticking to recipes is fun and there’s always a little wiggle space for creativity. I love it. I began to cleanse and chop my chosen veggies, and started cooking. While that was on the go, I began to assemble and knead the dough for chapatis (flat bread) and then whip together a batter out of chickpea flour for broccoli pakoras.

In the middle of all this, the actual cooks showed up and from there, like a team, we worked together and performed a miracle. The food preparations were rendered for the Krishna deity, resident monks, and for our Govinda’s Restaurant. The outcome was great, even though today was the last day for indoor dining before the lockdown is in effect for three weeks.

Stomachs were pleased, including mine, which warranted an evening walk through the Annex while chanting a low-volume mantra.

May the Source be with you!

3 km


 

 

No comments: