Wednesday 19 January 2022

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Queen’s Park, Toronto

January 11 – Special For Me

Today was my mother’s birthday. She has passed away, but I can’t forget her – ever. I was her first born and she had five more little rascals after me. That was quite a load for any two parents – six of us – but we looked after each other. We were lucky because she was the typical, honourable house-and-family-keeping person. We were happy to have a parent home when we arrived from school. Then dad came back from work after 5 p.m., only to do some chores in the barn until supper time, when we all sat together to discuss the affairs of the day. It was definitely a ’50s model of living.

During my walk today, being all bundled up for the cold winter dynamic, I thought about the warmth of the structure we were protected by. It was certainly God’s grace. I believe all of us felt a type of protection from God.

I never became an altar boy in the Catholic tradition, although my brothers did. Still, I did carry on with praying on the rosary during the time of Lent, when I meditated at the stations of the Cross.

These days you might catch me walking along the wall in the temple by the stations of Krishna. Adorning these walls are the pictures of Krishna Lila, or His pastimes, while I’m fingering on my japa beads. There’s not much difference between the practices. The only thing is Mum’s not around. I’m hoping she’s in heaven.

May the Source be with you!

4 km


 

No comments: