Wednesday 12 January 2022

Sunday, January 9, 2022

Yorkville, Toronto

It Was 2 am

It was 2 a.m. I could not sleep well so I decided to hit the pavement, or rather the side-walk. I opened the loading door as my exit from the temple/ashram where I live and there lie a man in prostrations, in other words, head and stomach down. I don’t know how long he lay there but as soon as I swung open the door he noticed me and offered an apology saying, “I’m coming back from work and I just wanted to get the Lord’s mercy.”

“Fine!” I said, “But you did shock me.”

“I’m sorry.” He went right back to his obeisance while I went to commence walking. I thought that perhaps there is something genuine to what he was doing. The ground he lay on was cold. It was minus seven Celsius at the time. Some people value tapasya, austerity.

It was indeed a chilly morning. The sky, being clear for the most part, accommodated whitish clouds pushed from the north. I could detect some biting currents coming from the west. Cardboard scrap was being tossed about and the north/south bus on Yonge was covered with dirt-salt film. Winter can bring on a gloomy aspect at times.

The day, however, was one of warmth and satisfaction. I consider that so having delivered five classes on bhakti, the first and last were in person and the in-between were live-streamed. For me, it is always gratifying to share wisdom and when questions flow from the listeners I know I’ve made a tiny impact.

May the Source be with you!

4 km


 

No comments: