Wednesday 12 January 2022

Saturday, January 8, 2022

U of T, Toronto

Getting Around, Looking

While I strolled through some of the U of T campus, I also included meandering through swanky Yorkville, a dodgy strip of Yonge St., the platinum strip on Bloor, and a section of historic Annex. I observed the flow of pedestrians during the course. I was surprised by the turnout of shoppers. January sales is the draw. Despite covid restrictions, many folks are not deterred; despite the weather conditions being not the friendliest. Temperatures have been down, but the sun has been up offering a burst of optimism.

One really good thing about winter is the traffic is slower. Rough sounding engines so prevalent in the summer are somewhat muffled by snow during the lull in people’s passions. It’s much more peaceful. I was never for those barracudas on wheels. Fearsome they are. And I never could understand why tickets aren’t issued to those on Harley Davidsons. Why is it that they can get away roaring through the summer and no one else can? I guess they’re tough guys and gals and police are reluctant to mess with them.

My morning was calm. Our small crew of monks and two guests tuned into the beautiful words of the Bhagavatam, Canto Eleven, where a monk talks about his twenty-four gurus within nature. On top of the list is the mountain noted for its charitable disposition of offering water from snow. That pristine H20 is the most generous of gifts. Mountains do give.

May the Source be with you!

4 km



 

No comments: