Saturday 5 October 2019

Tuesday, October 1st, 2019


Regina/Saskatoon

Why the White Wrappers?

While Toronto was getting twenty-nine degrees Celsius, Regina received a temperature of plus one, but the coolness suited me fine.  No sweat! It was perfect for a brisk walk along a quiet country road through Regina’s east end, which led to Victoria Avenue, past a new and already popular Costco store.  Costco is the epitome of box-store culture, but I like the fact that now trees line the entrance lane.  I asked the two work persons, “Why the white wrappers around the trunks?”

“To keep the jack rabbits from eating the young bark,” said the one fellow, a First Nations’ person.

“Sounds fine to me.”

Then, at 8:00 a.m, I encountered the hustle and bustle of Victoria Avenue with its roar of traffic.  Ramesh picked me up at the point where I reached my five kilometre target.  I was then dropped off at the ISKCON Regina Centre on Retallack Street for a full day of service by myself.  I decided the temple room needed a tidying up.  I can’t handle clutter, so I rolled up my sleeves and went at it.

In the meantime, messages came in.  One of the texts read: “Visnu Tattva is dead.”  A godbrother who was a boxer/trainer and a one-time Mr. Fiji, when a body-builder.  He was a student/disciple of Prabhupada.  My condolences to the family.  He served well.

I was really content with the day, seemingly alone and reflecting on the previous evening’s meaningful meeting with the council members of the centre.  It’s great when things run smoothly.  They are breaks which are welcome through a rough terrain of things.

Finally, Vivek Joshi took me for a ride to Saskatoon to be of some service there. I’m impressed with the work of he and Amee.  They are growing a terrific sacred plant, the tulasi.  Their daughters showed off the luxuriant bush.

May the Source be with you!
5 km


No comments: