Wednesday 9 October 2019

Saturday, October 5th, 2019


Brampton, Ontario

I'm 67

Most people assume that their father and mother are responsible for their birth.  This may be biologically so.  However, one should consider what it means to be truly alive and truly born.  Our tradition in Krishna Consciousness tells us that it is the guru who opens one’s eyes to live a life that is new.

I turned sixty-seven today, and I had a chance to speak to a group of Brampton congregants, students, disciples, and well-wishers about what my guru, Prabhupada, did for me.  I also told of my past recollections of him, although I never personally spoke to him.  I was too shy.  But I did hear from, and sat in on his classes, personally heard him chant, and also watched him looking at a drama presentation in Atlanta, Georgia.

That was the first time I saw him.  He was rather petite, but had a strong message, as always, and delivered it loud and clear.  It was in February of '75.  He told of how he was a follower of Gandhi in his college years, and also how he was skeptical of holy men.  When he first met his guru, Bhaktisidhanta, he was won over by his straightforwardness, his pureness, focus and commitment.

My sister, Connie, called. "Do your people do something for you on your birthday?" And I said, "Yes, of course!"

In any event, the hall at ISKCON Brampton was at full-person capacity.  They said nice things—more than was necessary.  I was flanked by two sizeable birthday cakes.  Mukesh Gelda, who's a year younger, shares the same birthday every year.  It was wonderful!  https://www.instagram.com/p/B3Qnts7gm5d/?igshid=ym97cka1u9kj

May the Source be with you!
3 km

No comments: