Saturday 18 May 2019

Friday, May 10th, 2019

Hilton Hills, Toronto

Artists Forgotten

Major walking today consisted of a two kilometre walk and dip into a sunken park that leads to the Studio Building.  Constructed in 1914 is a three storey brick edifice that has historic value (for Canada at least) and is just around the corner from our ashram.

Before I became a monk, I was a fine arts student, and I had a weak spot for the Canadian Group of Seven, impressionistic artists of natural sceneries.  Lawren Harris was my favourite.  Well, this is the building they met in, gathered inspiration, and where, I imagine, they did some teaching.  The Studio Building.

When I come upon a landscape of Harris, A.Y. Jackson, Tom Thompson (pre-Group of Seven), and the others, it hurls me out into the countryside to its smells, sights, and textures and I become peaceful.

I asked my two walking companions, and they are Canadian, if they had heard of the Group of Seven, and embarrassingly (I’m the one who’s embarrassed) they gave me a look as if I were asking a much younger generation person:  “Do you know the Beatles?” (Surprise! Surprise!) “ I think I heard of them” is what you sometimes get.

Anyway, readers here may want to reference these great artists who gave some identity or signature, artistically, to this part of the world. http://www.arthistoryarchive.com/arthistory/canadian/The-Group-of-Seven.html

We returned to the ashram for a birthday party to honour Dharma Prana, who himself is a ‘work of heart’, and is very colourful.  He suffered a stroke sometime back, and we love him.  He turned seventy and he’s doing quite well.  May he live long.  And may we not forget the Supreme Artist.  https://www.instagram.com/p/BxTVqkjg9_9/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=c6zca0hdmbsx

May the Source be with you!
2 km




No comments: