Wednesday 6 March 2019

Friday, March 1st, 2019

Mayapura, India

Laps With No Naps

While doing laps around the central altar of the samadhi building, as a way to revere the deity of our guru, Prabhupada, I was unaware that someone was timing me.  That someone was a monk, a few years my senior, from the U.S., who spends considerable time in South America.  Hanumat Prasak Swami clocked me after I did those laps and said, "It's amazing.  I timed you as I was sitting down, and you were taking  forty-eight seconds for every complete circle, except when you were talking to someone, which was occasional."

I was surprised that, first of all, the swami bothered to register my speed, and secondly, he was so precise with it. Over one hour plus becomes many laps. You do the math.

Chanting while walking in the samadhi's interior is a favourite place for japa meditation.  Today with so many pilgrims in town, due to the abhishek ceremony, the room was more occupied than on most days. It was quite wonderful, and quite powerful, being in the presence of so many bhakti-yogis, although most of them remained seated as I and a few others spun around.

The maha(great) abhishek(bath) was a grand success.  The ganges water collected, and other pure liquids and substances were poured onto the deities of Panca Tattva, created quite a spectacle in addition to the showers of flowers thrown in the air.  Kirtan chanting resounded.  The sunshine even broke through after two days of overcast conditions.  https://www.instagram.com/p/BugMBtoF8se/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=11vuvp75xtd14

Our drama, in fact, is based on the story of Surya, the sun god, and how he begot a divine boy, Karna, after union with a mortal woman, an illustrious queen.

May the Source be with you!
10 km




No comments: