Tuesday 30 October 2018

Thursday, October 25th, 2018

Toronto, Ontario

He Walked In

The morning class had just ended when an eighteen-year-old York University student walked in.  Don is from Nigeria, and arrived in Canada when he was nine.  “I was religious, close to Jesus, before I migrated with my family.  What is this place anyway?” he asked.

“Well, you walked into a Krishna Temple.”

“I’m not sure how I got here!”

“You mean you were just drawn or pulled in?” I asked for clarification.

“Yes, it seems like it.”

“How did you get here?”

“By bus.”

In any event, although his coming had come mystical overtones to it, I proceeded to show him the deity of Krishna, spoke some philosophy to him about true identity, and got him to chant with me the entire maha mantraseveral times.  I even picked up the mrdungadrum and played it while singing, again with him.

“Our identity is as a spirit soul.  We are not these bodies.  We are spirits, and our obligation is to serve.”

“So we are meant to serve?” Don asked.

“Yes!” I said.

“We are spirits?”

“Yes.” I confirmed.

Don seemed to enjoy his visit to the temple.  “I’ve got class at 10.  I’ve got to go.  What time is it?”

“ 9:09.”

“I’ve gotta go!”

“Do come back.”

“I’m gonna try,” he said.

May the Source be with you!
5 km

No comments: