Monday 1 October 2018

Friday, September 21st, 2018

Toronto, Ontario

About Mantra and Kirtan

While waiting at the dentist’s for a cleaning, I picked up the most recent issue of “Reader’s Digest,” and I read with interest an article, “Finding Zen: A Former Worry Wart Speaks Out.”  The topic was worry, anxiety, stress, and the author spoke with a visitor from Australia who had this amazing calm energy.  “I asked her what her secret was, and she told me that she practised Vedic meditation, a type of silent transcendental meditation rooted in Ayurvedic tradition in which you repeat a mantra in your mind… Today I’m in Toronto, working in tech and still meditating twice a day.  I’ve made other healthy changes, like drinking less alcohol.  I sleep much better than I used to…” by Alexis Clarfield-Henry.

Yes, there is power in chanting and today being in mid-maha mantra,it was only appropriate for our group at the ashram to go out and do kirtan.  Our chosen location was the Kensington Market, a very walkers-friendly neighbourhood.  It is also hip in this enclave of Toronto.

We were armed with sitar, drum and tambourine.  Prepared we were for a greatkirtan, soft and subtle at the newly-renovated park.  One after another some fellows came over to be fascinated by instrument, clothes and sound.  I had the tambourine.

Kensington is just so ripe for higher consciousness.  It’s a real community.

May the Source be with you!
0 km

No comments: