Tuesday 11 September 2018

Friday, September 7th, 2018

Fredericton, New Brunswick

Open to People

Since last night, when I walked one block twice in Sussex, I encountered some fun exchanges.  On that quiet main street of the town, a young woman from a carload of passengers stuck out her head to shout out a remark.

“I like the dress,” she said of my robes.

“They’re robes.  I’m a monk.”

“Oh, that’s what they are.  I’m not that educated.  In fact, I’m ignorant.”  I sensed some sarcasm.

“Do get educated!” I encouraged her.

In the downtown of Fredericton, the brahmacharis and I met the school librarian. With coffee in hand she crossed the street with us, and we began a conversation around the weather.

“Best month of the year,” I declared. “Best for walking.” I was referring to September.

“Oh yes, it really is.”

“And best for reading?” I asked.

“Always!”

When the Brahmacharis and I reached the Bill Thorpe Walking Bridge, I pulled out my cell for a photo.  A polite young guy behind me, on his way to do landscaping, with skate-board in arm, decided to wait until I clicked.  I clicked. He had questions.

“I’ve heard about Krishna… I’ll be going on a retreat where they honour a vow of silence.”

I encouraged the calm man who introduced himself by the name, Devlon.  I expressed that in our order we sing, drum and talk about dharma.  We made a friend, and the brahmacharis will keep in touch with him.

My stay in New Brunswick wrapped up with a swim in Lake Killarney.  Refreshing!

May the Source be with you!
6 km


No comments: