Sunday 13 August 2017

Friday, August 11, 2017

Baker, Nevada

Another Walker

Davin is from Flint, Michigan and he had a desire to walk the U.S. He’s been at it for over 300 days. He had sold all his personal belongings to take up this walk from the eastern side of the country to go to San Fransisco. Davin is but sixty miles behind us. He had heard of me and I had heard of him.

Interestingly enough, we are running into the same folks, one of whom gave him my card with the mantra “Hare Krishna” on the back of it. Devin had been looking at that mantra and then trying it. It could be that the translation grabbed his attention. “Oh awesome Creator, allow me to be of blissful service to You and the world.”

Here’s the coincidences, magic, whatever. He was trying out the mantra and as he was doing so, while walking on the same highway, we were chanting the mantra (with musical instruments) in the van on the return journey to our room. I asked Hayagriva, the driver, to please stop and meet the walker.

Davin was thrilled. So were we, to meet another trekker, and now someone who’s having a go at the sacred sound.

Davin is younger than me, smaller than me and in good shape. He carries his tent, sleeping gear, clothes and snacks in a stroller.

“What is your cause?” asked Hayagriva.

“For myself—personal development,” he said calmly.

I think he’s a gem. We gifted him with beads and a Gita. I’ll look him up when I get home.


May the Source be with you!

20 miles


No comments: