Wednesday 17 September 2014

Sunday, September 14th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario

Mix and Mingle

There are many things I loathe about city life.  Yet there are many things I love about urban stuff.  Within a downtown you can get about and acquire almost all of your cultural and physical needs.

I trekked to our urban easy-to-get-to “Bhakti Lounge” to give a class on anarthas and what to do about “unwanted elements” that stand in the way of spiritual progress.  The discussion that followed after my delivery of some words on the topic “was relevant to us,” so one person commented.  After all, who is perfect?  We all have demons inside.

On my return walk back  to the ashram, an anxious runner, bespeckled and bandana’d whizzed by. “Bhaktimarga!” he shouted when he approached.  Only when he got physically close could I recognize this school teacher friend of mine.  “I’ll come and visit you sometime!” It’s only been about five years since I had seen Mitch.

Mitch’s quick encounter exposed me to an anartha (again, an unwanted element).  This time, it was guilt.  Mind you guilt is positive when it compels you to improve.  Yes, I feel guilty every year when I hear promotion of the annual and popular “Terry Fox Run” which I’m sure Mitch was headed towards. 

Why do I feel this guilt, is because I’m not participating.  Had I participated it would be my opportunity to mingle with folks outside my own community and at the same time not become worldly.  I did take part at the “Terry Fox Run” two Septembers ago in the town of Fort Frances when I had trekked through on the Cross Canada walk #4. I walked and did not run (you are allowed to do so).  And after that walk, Daruka, my support guy, and his parrot, Billy and I went for that luncheon at the church to mingle with co-trekkers and runners.  It was sweet!

Doing marathon walks or runs provides the option to go solo or multiples.  It’s a good idea to mix and mingle in the process and break out of your shell once in a while.

May the Source be with you!

6 KM

No comments: