Saturday 6 September 2014

Sunday, August 31st, 2014

Montreal, Quebec

For Montreal
Before I left for a quick flight to Montreal, I discovered some guy sprawled out on the outdoor stair landing of our ashram. No doubt the fellow had passed out or was fast asleep or something, a result of some intoxication.

"You won't be able to stay here," I said as he was blocking the way.

Instantaneously he woke up, looked up to notice me and said, "Oh! Buddha!" I had remarked something to Dakshin, a monk visiting from Miami, and who had been standing nearby. The fellow managed to hoist himself to midway and said, "Oh! Another Buddha!"

"Yes, well, the two Buddhas are trying to say that you have to move on. Do you mind?"

He complied and left, hopefully to seek nirvana.

The purpose to my visit to Montreal was to do a talk during a festival in honor of our guru, Srila Prabhupada. I spoke about my personal time with him in Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, and Toronto. About half of the anecdotes had to do with my walking with him and his entourage. 

Then I learned from the coordinator of the event that in '68, when our guru made his first visit to Montreal to deal with U.S. visa issues, he had walked a good seven to eight kilometres from the Notre Dame Basilica to the ecumenical centre for visiting all religions: "Le Centre Montchanais." This was in June, July and August.

Also, he once mentioned he loved majestic flowing rivers which compelled him to walk along the Riviere St. Laurent, up to Mont Royal Park.

Guess who's going to check out those locations on foot? Yes, to me they are pilgrimage places.

May the Source be with you!

6 KM

No comments: