Tuesday 9 September 2014

Monday, September 8, 2014

Etobicoke, Ontario

Making My Way
 
 
I was making my way westward on Davenport, the ancient trail for the Huron native people.  It was once at the edge of waters called Iroquois. The water receded to where it is now.  It was a major thoroughfare connecting the current Humber and Don Rivers.  It’s now a narrow street.  I feel honoured to be on a trail that’s thousands of years old.
 
While trekking I met a series of guys who were, let’s say, expressing themselves individually.  The first one was angry.  While pushing his baby in a carriage, a person in a slick black Cadillac stopped right in front of him with cell phone in hand, oblivious to what she had done.  The father demanded while having to go around the vehicle, “Stop using your phone!”  He repeated it again and again as the driver of the car paid no attention.
 
Blocks later I came to a stoplight.  So did the driver next to me.  With his car window open he was singing at the top of his lungs.  I was trying to catch the song.  It sounded like an Engelbert Humperdinck tune.  Anyways he sounded happy.
 
Some blocks later a guy on his bike going the other direction spotted me and broke into a string of mantras.  I was thinking we’re not doing too bad for a Monday late afternoon.
 
Finally I made a turn to Weston Rd., then Eglinton West until my prearranged driver came to pick me up 10 kilometres later.  He drove me to his home to initiate an annaprasana, a first grain ceremony for his five month old son.  Both dad and mom were thrilled.  So was I.  I got my walking in.  I witnessed happy men and one in a drama.  These things happened while walking so I could see all this and be entertained.
 
May the Source be with you!
 
10 KM

No comments: