Monday 17 February 2014

Thursday, February 13th, 2014

Nodia, India

Walking/Flying

As out little drama troupe was in the midst of our practice for the Hindi version of "Gita: Concise”, an interviewer came, a Ms. Singh from the Delhi Times was informed about my being in town and that a story about  "The Walking Monk" might be interesting; she was gracious.

The usual questions came about why, where and what's next?  To put it briefly I told her about the value of pilgrimages, about the countries I've ventured through on foot and about doing Route 66 in the U.S. as a major undertaking from New York to San Fransisco.  I also told her of the many visits to elementary schools this last summer while walking through the Canadian prairies along with Daruka, my associate, and a parrot.  The teachers loved the notion of getting away from computers and games to see a bigger world, a bigger picture.

After the interview and drama practice I enjoyed some down-time reading through the pages of a new book by Lokanath Swami, "In Conversation With Srila Prabhupada".  I'm sure that my admired monk friend, the author, doesn't mind me pulling out an excerpt that got my attention.  It's to do with a walk he was on with our Guru, Srila Prabhupada on November 13/1975 Bombay/India:

"As Srila Prabhupada quickened his steps and we hurried along behind him, we glanced upwards to the clear Juhu beach sky and observed a flock of geese flying through the air in complete synergy with each other. Srila Prabhupada stopped, dug his cane steadily into the ground and commented,"’Yes… fast, these birds.  Airplane cannot do that.’

I inquired, ‘How do the birds determine the direction of their movement without clashing into each other?’

Srila Prabhupada responded, Informing me, ‘Yes, they have got intelligence.  You are thinking they have no intelligence. They have got complete intelligence.’

I acknowledged Srila Prabhupada’s explanation and pushed the discussion further.  ‘How do they all decide together to turn either right or left without clashing?’

Srila Prabhupada replied with authority, "That is intelligence.  You do not know that if you are given airplane, so many… immediately, at least half a dozen will be finished. That means you are less intelligent then the birds, at least in the matter of flying.’

Those who were there to hear the remarks… were highly amused.”
 
May The Source Be With You!
 
0 KM

No comments: