Wednesday 26 February 2014

Monday, February 24th, 2014

To and From the Clinic
 
Mayapura, India
 
Just one kilometre from my accommodation at Mayapura is the Bhaktivedanta Hospital and Clinic.  It’s basically a new facility.  Keshava, our very own Canadian rep living in the community is much loved and appreciated for bringing in a dental department to the facility.
 
I took advantage of the opportunity for a check-up.
 
As I had known there is a gum recession, just like I’m aware of cartilage wear-down at the knees.  Such is the reality of the body, it starts to slowly deteriorate from aging while concurrently our devotional spirit should be rising.
 
I hope that’s the case for me.  I have to wonder sometimes.
 
After the clinic visit I contemplated my internal situation.  Heat and traffic is something I’m becoming perhaps less tolerant towards – a sign of aging?  Appreciating life in the bhakti lane is maybe on the rise.  I really enjoy the moments with peers.  In my more youthful times here in the dhama, I felt more competitive.  There was the inclination to feel “I’m a better student” or “a better singer or cook” or “I’m more surrendered”.
 
With experience comes truth.  Time invokes wisdom unless you block the opportunity.  That’s why it can be well appreciated that if you keep life clean, free from substances that inhibit clear thinking it lessen chances for self-realization.  Our guru, Srila Prabhupada, encouraged the restrictions, “No intoxication, no gambling, no meat-eating and no illicit sex”.
 
As he told, so he did.  In his last days his thoughts were clear and sharp, focused on the Absolute.
 
While taking steps back from the clinic I was compelled to think on the terms that I would like to be clear in mind, as he was.
 
May the Source be with you!
 
5 KM

No comments: