Sunday 2 June 2013

Friday, May 31st, 2013

You Are A Diamond Forever
 
Toronto, Ontario
 
Yura really liked the walking trail we took.  He’s a York University Student who decided to reside in our temple ashram like 6 other people.  Getting the best of both worlds, material and spiritual, is what his program’s all about.  Part of that balance (school by day and temple life by night to early morning) is walking and chanting. 
 
“I saw everything from a different perspective,” he told me.  I guess he could appreciate the mystical aspect to chanting while meandering from street to street and capturing some beauty.  At one point, we went over this walking bridge that suspended above a railroad track when the sun was lying exactly at the far east of the tracks inviting one to explore its far reaching edge. 
 
For Yura, sunrise was a real thrill, and at sundown when I took a second stroll, a chap who caught up to walk abreast with me, showed his excitement, not for any scenery, but merely to meet. 
 
“Hey, you’re a monk?”
 
And I said, “Yes, my name is Bhaktimarga Swami.  And you?”
 
“I’m Dale.”  And then he told me that he was a miner from up north; that he extracts diamonds from the earth. 
 
“Yes, diamonds are forever,” and we both chuckled over the remark from the James Bond flick.  Then we went deeper into dialogue, identifying the precious gem like the nature of the soul and how it is buried in the body and needs to be extracted in order to perform to its full potential.  I then left Dale with a final parting as he was going in his different direction, not necessarily in ‘aim in life’, but in terms of trekking east, as I was headed north. 
 
12 KM

No comments: