Wednesday 1 February 2012

Sunday, January 29th, 2012

Millions of Drops

Georgetown,  Guyana

I did not yet see the Guyanese sun on this trip, but that’s okay, the sun shines with those pursuing spiritual life.

At the Nimai Pandit training center, the Sunday gathering of determined souls who braved the torrential rain were brightly lit in the shower of the holy name.  Under the shelter of a strong tin roof was their leader Prabhupada Deva, also a local bhakti instructor.  With his usual smile he expressed to me that he has an ongoing crew dumping buckets of water from the site.  Otherwise we would all be sitting in water.  Being under sea level has its challenges for a place like Guyana.  When the Dutch came here they implemented what they’ve been known for - building dykes and seawalls. 

I spoke to an attentive crowd on the topic of the real meaning of Mahatma according to the Gita, as rain kept slapping against the roof surface.

Prabhupada Deva teamed up with me at the Crane ISKCON Center where he conducted a fire ceremony to assist the formal initiation of three men, Radha Nathabhar, Dhronacharya and Jaya Gaura, are the new names given to the initiates, a fantastic trio.  I emphasized in my talk that accompanied the ceremony that the world is in need of genuine spiritual leadership.

“Prepare yourselves for this through the study of our books.  Try to impress the world with your good behavior as well as the message you will repeat from the line of  information handed down by the sages.  Echo the truth and distinguish it from the false promises of mundane pleasure.”

What followed was an explosive kirtan chanting session.  After spending hours on this day with people delivering three classes and just as many or more chanting sessions, I felt an urge to have a short time to myself as people were rushing in for the Sunday Feast, served on lotus pads.  Down the road my feet carried me as I sported an umbrella overhead in the wake of millions of descending raindrops and the sound of millions of frogs as the days closure came into fruition.

3 Km

No comments: