Sunday 31 January 2010

Thursday, January 28th, 2010

Charming Things

Berbice, Guyana

This creature that caught my attention was neither a rat nor a pig. It was a bush-hog and was foreign to my eyes. It never ceases to amaze me what new species enters your purview when you travel. I was totally distracted from kirtan chanting for a good 5 minutes during day 2 of Padayatra. This rather handsome looking hog is considered a rodent. I would estimate a good 3 feet in length from head to hind, this animal is a herbivore like most of the participants in Padayatra, festival on foot.

After tearing and munching on grass this slightly bulky guy took no interest in what we were doing. He went straight for wallowing in a mud hole. He was loving it. He didn’t have a care in the world.

I admit to leading at least half of our human flock astray. Whatever the swami does people will follow. I pulled out of the procession and stepped but inches away from my new found friend. The chanting persisted while I watched in wonder another remarkable creation by Krishna.

Fascinating also was receiving a squash potato curry on a lotus flower pod. You cup the pod in your left hand and eat with the right fingers.

Our evening closed with friend Ajamil leading a chanting session with that Caribbean flavour of a sound. Somehow the lead guitar helped. It got everyone off their chairs and on their feet. This is a festival on foot indeed.

8 KM

No comments: