Sunday 24 January 2010

Friday, January 22nd, 2010

Make A Life and Give

Scarborough, Ontario

“We make living by what we get but we make a life by what we give”.
This quote found on the back cover of a glossy magazine “Wheeling” which features 'The Krishnas' is very inspiring. They are the words of Winston Churchill.

I have it in mind to give my leg power to the victims in Haiti for the upcoming walk in Trinidad. I am not following the news in detail of the catastrophe but I am aware that after the devastation of homes and the displacement of people and the astronomical numbers of deaths, it is the suffering survivors that face fathomless calamity. I would like to dedicate the solitary walk (with occasional companions as they appear) to the earthquake victims.

What is consuming me is the great wonder, “How to accomplish such a feat/feet in two days?” I land in Trinidad this Monday at 7 AM at Port of Spain and will commence walking from there. It will be like a frying pan for me as temperature already rises above 30 degrees Celsius. My sponsor wishes for me to actually be in Guyana two days following to attend a Padayatra, a festival on foot and that is the reason for the restricted time. The anticipated walk goes from Port of Spain to Chaguanas, the location of a temple and then from there to Debe, the location of a spiritual commune. This like previous walks will be a pilgrimage about 70 km long. This time it will be “a prayerful walk for the suffering souls in Haiti”.

My evening was spent in the home of Anand, a former big star of cricket, playing on behalf of the Canadian Cricket Team. We completed the evening by singing bajans, devotional songs. The lyrics of these songs are deep and they penetrated the mind while wrestling with the thought only by God’s grace will I complete Trinidad in two days.

5 Km

No comments: