Monday 14 June 2021

Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Rosedale, Toronto

 

Give Me the Goods

 

Delivering classes based on the Bhagavat philosophy entails speaking on behalf of the previous acharyas or teachers. They have provided those of us who teach with stories, analogies and Sanskrit/Bengali verses. Put a piece of yourself into the presentation. Offer life experiences or stories based on your own revelations and then you’re in a position to inspire. I was blessed to give three classes —Toronto and Montreal back-to-back in the morning and finally a class from the Gita with someone from Owen Sound, a bit north in Ontario.

 

When Montreal informed me that I was to speak from verses of Canto 8, I had a little to go on as far as context was concerned. The purport was brief. I didn’t know the verse ahead of time (my fault). It was a colorful verse to do with the Kurma Avatar, the massive tortoise, and how his itch was being relieved by the base of a rotating mountain on his back. That’s lively in itself yet the context of philosophy was meager.

 

At such moments I offer an intense prayer “Dear God, please give me the goods to know what to say.” It usually works.

 

I would say that delivering a class based on sastra (sacred text) was a high point of the day. Another summit for the day was a walk in the night. Victor accompanied me. Both of us took time to smell the aromatic blossoms so dominant at this time of year. Our nostrils got a real treat. We were delivered the goods.

 

May the source be with you!

3 km


 

No comments: