Friday 7 August 2020

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The Annex, Toronto

 

Ego

 

From Bhagavad-gita As It Is, purport 13.8-12: “False ego means accepting this body as oneself. When one understands that he is not his body and is spirit soul, he comes to his real ego. Ego is there. False ego is condemned, but not real ego. In the Vedic literature it is said, ahaṁ brahmāsmi: I am Brahman, I am spirit. This “I am,” the sense of self, also exists in the liberated stage of self-realization. This sense of “I am” is ego, but when the sense of “I am” is applied to this false body it is false ego. When the sense of self is applied to reality, that is real ego. There are some philosophers who say we should give up our ego, but we cannot give up our ego, because ego means identity.”

 

I have found that during my walks I chant on, and display from my right hand, my meditation beads to the public. I believe more people know it’s about some form of prayer. On the corner of Clinton and Bloor there is a bench and while I was sitting there a gentleman came to ask me if I was praying. I explained that it was good for the ego; it helps to dissolve what is false about me.

 

Sanjit, who is often a walking partner of mine, accompanied me again tonight and while using his legs he also used his mouth while chanting on his beads. I asked him, as we tread back to the ashram, if he would be thinking about Krishna, with less ego, if he wasn’t chanting. His answer was clear.

 

“No, the chanting brings on thoughts of Krishna.” He said.

 

Confirmed. Chanting enhances a positive meditation and mindfulness.

 

May the Source be with you!

6 km

 

No comments: