Wednesday 3 August 2016

Monday, July 25th, 2016

Monday, July 25th, 2016
Mitchellville, Iowa

Hawks and Their Direction

It is said that the hawk is known for its powers of focus and observation.  And when a hawk is spotted, either in flight or perched, it is a sign that some initiative should be taken up.

My morning and afternoon were punctuated with the presence of a hawk.  He was, of course, buzzing about, more interested in prey than my prayer.  I enjoyed his camaraderie.  We were moving along somewhat in the same sphere for a while, with him in the air and myself on the ground.

Initiative?  New projects?  Well, maybe!

A film-maker I met last fall in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania had a project in mind, one that would involve some hiking on the Appalachian Trail.  The participants would be leaders of religious denominations.  I have been invited to represent Krishna Consciousness.  The trek would begin at the start of May.  I just received an e-mail. 

My dilemma is that my last leg of the cross-US walk would already be in session.  I’ll be 64.  I don’t know that my knees would take too kindly to the endeavour, although I would truly relish trekking and camping with a priest, a rabbi, a Buddhist monk and a mullah.

So, I question the timeline and whether I can physically take up the challenge, especially if it involves backpacking. Let’s dwell on it.

The hawk of the morning brought good vibes.  Motorists were waving.  One group of people stopped to load Mandala and I with a pile of sweet corn.  The hawk of the afternoon seemed to lead us to a shady bike-path, a relief from the strong sun.

May the Source be with you!

20 miles

No comments: