Wednesday 18 March 2009

Sunday, March 15th, 2009

A TRIP TO BRUCE PENINSULA

Wiarton, Ontario

Gaurachandra, a monk of Hungarian decent and I drove north early enough to escape the oncoming traffic for the St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Midway between Toronto and Wiarton, a three hour drive, Gaurachandra expressed an interest to stop and catnap. This meant I could have my moment of liberation in the form of walking. The route was Highway 10. The sun was bright and I was dressed light. Snow and ice were on the throw and you could hear water trickle and rush in many directions. A reflection came to me.

Our guru, Srila Prabhupada, took his cane once and poked holes in ice puddles. He went at this persistently on a walk with some of his students on a fresh and frigid morning in Europe. When asked about his doing this, he replied that it is the nature of water to flow ant hat similarly it is the nature or constitution of the atma, the soul, to serve.

I hope that with spring upon us some soul will consider their natural proclivity towards service and seek opportunities.

Upon arriving at our destination in Wiarton, we pulled up at Gould Street to meet the Hannah family of which Garuda, 61, is an avid walker/talker. Before conducting a small service of chanting and speaking, I asked for more walking and so the Hannahs and guests indulged. With that accomplished I looked at our audience of a remarkable range from 6 to 60. How to make the message of spirituality in a way to stimulate everyone? I asked for a copy of “Krsna, The Supreme Personality of Godhead” and I charaded through a chapter. It worked. In fact, the kids were very jacked up. I guess I was perceived as a fun monk. Three of them came at me with a tickle attack and I had to beg the ambushers to back off. Only granddad Garuda could call them off.

What a day!

6 km

No comments: