Friday 19 December 2008

Sunday, December 14th, 2008

Havana, Cuba

I had arrived yesterday in Cuba. It’s my second visit. After a lengthy rest I ventured to the Malecon, the ocean front where the water slaps against the sea wall. To reach there from my rented apartment at block J25 I trekked down several blocks where people were still on overtime party mode.

“Where are you from?” asked a few groups of people chilling from the music-dance-drinks-scene. One fellow this early/late time (4:15am) was thrilled to hear I’m a Canadian.
“Hey, I love Cuba!” I responded, “….it’s warmth and openness.”
To which he said “You like Cubans?” Here we sing, dance and the sex is good!”
“I’m a monk and I’m not sure you said the right thing.”
“Lo Siento!” (I’m sorry) he said.

After several encounters of enjoyable folks I met the ocean, walked to the capital buildings and the old Fort wall meant to hold off pirate invaders of the past. I appreciated the moon creating sparkling waves. I was lucky to not get a splash. Aggressive waves reached out to soak the sidewalk on both sides of me, but I managed to stay dry.

Wendy is a four year novice at spiritual life and I was invited with 21 year old Yosh and mom, Cecilia, to her home for conducting chanting, a talk, and answering questions with Cuban vegetarian fare to finalize the visit. Following that great experience with an apartment full of chanting enthusiasts we all ventured out to a park for public drumming and chanting. Young folks joined in the fun moving their bodies to the beat of the drum and smacking hands. Two police came to watch. They saw no trouble here, but rather, a keep-out-of-trouble program going on here. And so they moved on.

16 Km

No comments: