Saturday 21 July 2007

North Bay, Ontario

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Swimming and walking go hand in hand. The water is refreshing, relaxes muscles, soothes the mind, cleanses the body and adjusts the body air currents. I took full advantage of Lake Nipissing's wet waves and relished it.

One thing startles me. School is over. The weather is great. The beach is fine. So, where are the kids? The sea-gulls enjoy the sand. I'm sure they are willing to share the space.

When I was young (I'm starting to sound like an old man) we went for free recreation at the lake, soaked in the sun, listened to transistor radios and played in the water like fish. That was the 50's and the 60's. It seems that our culture has changed. Having spent considerable time in an ashram, I miss many of the changing tides. Some people will say, "You're not missing anything."

As the Gita describes three modes of existence- goodness, passion and ignorance- it is somewhat obvious that goodness is obscured. Most definitely the prevalent 'dark indoor culture' is self-evident of lack of light and enlightenment.

The passion of the post-war generation has slipped down a few notches.

It's not all grim, though. I feel hope in people. Kristen Sheppard has a weekly radio show on Bluesky Radio and she invited me down for an interview. The dialogue between us flowed smoothly as we explored the topic of pilgrimage.

Paul Chivers of the North Bay Nugget met me on the highway and took some photos but it was our conversation after the photography session that bore real substance. Country western radio station CKAT DJ Richard interviewed me about the walk also.

39 kms

No comments: