Thursday 8 December 2022

Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Toronto/ Varadero

Back to Cuba

2019 was the year of my last visit to Cuba. It was at the end of the year, December, and our retreat destination, Hotel Memories, was decorated most elaborately. In its lobby was sparkles and color, addressing the up coming year. There were these massive number 2020, attempts, to put all attendees in the party mode. I recall thinking that this might be prophetic as the year of greater vision.

Not long after the year 2020 set in, when the calendar page flipped to January, everyone was talking about a dreaded virus, corona. I was the least exposed to the media onslaught of this new virus – a little naive, perhaps. At a devotional gathering in Milton, after my talk, a woman raised her hand, and, in an anxious tone of voice, said “Can you give us some guidance on what we should do with Corona, which is now called COVID-19?” I thought she said the word Karuna, which means “mercy.” The question sounded odd to me. Why do we have to be concerned about mercy or grace? Isn’t that what we need in life; some compassion to see us forge ahead? Let the mercy pour on. I was slightly embarrassed when I understood she was referring to fear of the deadly virus.

Anyway, the virus came and it turned the world upside down. Now I am returning to Cuba for a restart, here, not on vacation, but for a visit to devotees of Krishna, who await us in various locations after a long drought of association. The crew includes myself, Vallabha Hari, Prana Gauranga, and Emile. We are a happy bunch.

May the Source be with you!

0 km


 

No comments: