Thursday 3 April 2014

Wednesday, April 2nd, 2014

Toronto, Ontario

Dharma Protects

My destination point isn’t usually a tattoo parlour, but it was today.  Down the street I went.  I turned degrees, opened the door, walked to the receptionist who said, “He’s in today, just go to the second floor.”  Up the stairs I ascended and into one of the cubicles.  There he was – the chief. 
 
Owner and operator is Cuban born, Jovany (AKA Jamuna Jivan), who was my cook in 2007 during a walk through northern Ontario.  He’s become adept at the artistry of tattooing, and he’s in the middle of crafting.  And no, I’m not there to get a tattoo.  Monks in our order use temporary tattoos with something called tilak, an earth based substance which washes off at each shower.  And if not that, the sweat will erase it.

Jovany was working on a young man’s bicepted left arm.  The design looks great, if I must say so.  The owner of the arm, which is pivoted under a pillow with work in progress, is Faris, who hails from the middle east.  Jovany stopped his work when he saw me and presented his obeisance right there in front of me, while he uttered, “This is my guru.”

The two of us got to talking while Jovany kept working on Feris’s arm with gorgeous armour like design.  Jovany was talking about life and its bumpy surprises.  I indicated that if dharma is executed, then there is always protectionFeris then got into the conversation, “So, what’s dharma?”

“To follow the duty which is natural to you.  When a person is dutiful then it’s beautiful, righteous.”  I elaborated, of course.  Feris mentioned that he’s originally from Dubai, to which I responded, “Oh, I’ve been there.  I walked a good stretch one morning in that city, but I was restricted from wearing my robes and had to settle for civies (civilian clothes).”

Our conversation went on with me doing most of the talking, and while watching the penning of ink into Feris’s skin.  With one glance I noticed a poster of Ghandi on the wall with a caption that read, “An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.”  This hinted at karma, but our talk stuck to dharma, which ultimately leads to good, inherent reactions of karma. 

Feris, the client, was listening intently.  So was the chief, Jovany.  I’m not sure that most tattoo parlours get into deep discussions.  At least, the other cubicles seemed a bit mundane in spirit when I passed by them during my exit from the shop. 

It was a walk and a talk well worth being part of.  I think I’ll browse around more in the tattoo making department in the future. 

May the Source be with you!

5 KM

No comments: