Sunday 27 April 2014

Friday, April 25th, 2014

Miami, Florida

Give Gita A Chance

It’s not my most favourite time of the year to be in Florida, the weather gets balmy and hot.  I decided to stay in the Miami airport terminal, as I usually do, to take advantage of the AC in anticipation for a pickup or a ride.  That was the reason for missing my ride by Dr. Romue, AKA, Murari Gupta.  In other words, I should have been standing outside.  I took pleasure in a sit down reading from the book, “Chaitanya Bhagavat”, on the life of the renowned mantra master.  Time passed by.  I phoned the doctor, but no response.  Okay, taxi then.  Walking was out of the question for the chance of getting lost.  And also contending with the distance factor while hauling luggage. 

I arrived by taxi at the Coconut Grove ISKCON address.  Happily, I met a group of eager people I’d not seen for months.  There were new people in the mix, people who had since my last visit, discovered the wisdom of the “Bhagavad Gita”, and which resonated with them.  New faces, and joyful ones, enthusiastic to hear and see someone who might be an exemplar of the culture of the Gita.  Personally, I could not fit such shoes.  In any event, “I’ve given some friendship as best as I can,” I thought. 

We all gathered in my accommodated room and basked in the warmth of light heartedness, and not the sun.  I offered words of encouragement, “Life,” I said, “on the outside provides little fulfillment.  We are all looking but we are not receiving.  When you come to the point of stumbling upon Krishna’s divine word, then everything changes.”  The room full of people all admitted that it’s all there – in the Gita, like, “An empire spoke,” as Emerson said.  And as Thoreau had put it, “I bathe my intellect in the stupendous philosophy” of the Gita’s enlightenment.

Humbly, I could not say anything fresh and new, but to point to the text itself which can change the hearts of all.  Give the Gita a chance. 

May the Source be with you!

0 KM

No comments: