Thursday 3 April 2014

Tuesday, April 1st, 2014

Toronto, Ontario

Be A Fool

I passed through 61 April Fools in this one life.  At the Tuesday Sanga, the evening’s presenter, Praharana, spoke on how we are all more or less fools for being in this world of suffering.  She, however, explained that joy could be had by taking to the spiritual component.  Her message spoken at the ashram was well received.

It was only after the time of her presentation that I went on my daily walk.  Vrindavan, one of our dedicated devotees in our community here, drove me at my request, to his home.  From there I would walk back to the ashram, a mere 6 KM distance.  I recall when I first tackled the longer stretches for training.  A couple of my colleagues at that time thought I was slightly foolish to go on a 22 KM trek (a first), and to do it on a winter afternoon when a snow storm suddenly hit.  I had lost directions while trying to reach my destination point, the home of a friend.  Eventually I was found through the aid of a call by payphone.  No panic, it was fun being a fool.  Anyways, it was all done for the training perspective. 

This fine afternoon I had a second visit from Michael over for lunch.  One year, Michael had trekked the nation from Newfoundland and then to British Columbia.  He’s experienced.  We discussed a number of things, even the possibility of doing some walking together this summer.  In our talk, he concurred that no one really understands the practice of marathon trekking, what positive effect it has, until you just go out and do it yourself.  In fact, anyone who has taken up the challenge of lengthy pilgrimages will wonder, “Why doesn’t everyone do this?”  As Michael confirmed about his noble walk, “Those were the best days of my life.” 

My remark would be, “If you can’t be foolhardy, then you’re just a bland bro.”

Be adventurous, be a fool. 

May the Source be with you!

6 KM

No comments: