Thursday 23 January 2014

Wednesday, January 22nd, 2014

Port Au Spain/Brampton

As I Was Packing

As I was packing my luggage for the return journey back to Canada, my two monastic friends, guru and Agni, came to join me for our last few minutes together.  It was kind of them to bid farewell.  It is moments of support like this, and the camaraderie that goes along with it, that makes devotional life in the renounced lane very whole and complete. It epitomizes the personalistic approach to spiritual life.

The last few words which express a safe journey is like a prayer that all will go well.  It seems that a frequent traveller would likely be receiving many “Bon Voyages” in his or her life.

A five hour flight by Caribbean Airlines brought me to the Toronto airport where I was greeted by Vaishnava Das of Brampton.  A “Goodbye” should always be followed by a “Welcome”, which is what I totally received.  “Goodbyes” and “Hellos” should run in circles in life, otherwise it means you’re not moving.

Vaishnava Das took me to his home where Janaki, his wife, had left her trademark curry leaf veggies for my tummy.  Vaishanava then drove me to Cassie Cambell Community Centre to enable me to get some walking in.  In the fitness room I tackled the 145 metre lap walking lane.  Seven of those revolutions make one kilometre.  I took a gusto one hour at the track, trekking around a space of occupied treadmills, yoga balls, weightlifting devices and numerous other contraptions for getting fit. 

While I went in stride on with the walking, Vaishnava spent some time chatting with Lauren, a staff member, chatting a bit about the guy in robes who has trekked the country a few times.  My hour terminated.  It was all good, the people, the machines, the walking lane, except for the playing of not favourite selection of music.  At best, it was a step up from bubble gum music.  But I shouldn’t complain, I benefitted from being there.

I did hint to Vaishnava that in the future, we should have Wellness Night for our bhakti yoga practitioners, some of whom are under engaged and the food consumed is too rich. 

May the Source be with you!

6 KM

No comments: