Wednesday 22 May 2013

Monday, May 20th, 2013

Merry Times in the Maritimes
 
New Glasgow/Halifax
 
There is a lovely spirit behind the Maritimers.  It came my way when I met an elderly guy on the Albian Trail.  It’s been encounter #3 with him.
 
“So, you’re back again, eh?” he said in passing, and with the biggest smile.
 
A second take on walking for the day found me on Stellarton Road in New Glasgow.  A jolly younger fellow by the name of Tom pulled over from driving. 
 
“Are you the walking monk?”  he queried.
 
“Yes,  I am,” and he gave the heartiest handshake times three.
 
Then Sarah, a mature lady of curiosity drove all the way across the huge parking lot to meet.  To her, I was a Buddhist monk, but I had to clarify my Krishna consciousness. 
 
“Well, I take a liking to Buddha, but I’m really interested in your walk,” she said.  At that moment I was whisked away to be driven to Halifax by Dr. Jal for the weekly chant at “The Hub”.  The Hub is located on Barrington Street on a second floor – a cozy spot rented out to groups like ours.  Here again, the spirit was one of lightness and joy.  Weather can be rather dismal being near the Atlantic, yet the dreariness was not able to touch our hearts because of our immersion in the Hare Krishna mantra which was garnered with varying melodies. 
 
Our snug jig at The Hub marked the finale for the blitz Nitai Ram and I took throughout the Maritimes.  Our audiences were appreciative and gentle.  Although I’m willing to bet that ancestors from the Maritime coast were likely a rough and ready bunch, a heartier kind.  To quote from Farley Mowat, the book ‘Grey Seas Under’, one old Newfoundland seaman expressed his bravado like this:
 
“Ah, me sun!  We don’t take nothin’ from the sea, we has to sneak up on what we want and wiggle it away.”
 
8 KM

No comments: